Embassy of El Salvador - Washington DC

Metro Closest Metro Stop:
Dupont Circle visa
View Metro Map

Travel Fax: (202) 232-3763

Travel Phone: (202) 595-7500

Travel Website: elsalvador.org

Travel Email: correo[at]elsalvador.org

Travel Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Travel Address: 1400 16th St NW, Suite 100, Washington DC 20036.

The Embassy of El Salvador is located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood. The Dupont Circle Metro Station on the red line of the Metro system is the closest station to the Embassy. The Dupont Circle Station has two exits; make sure to leave through the Q Street Exit. For suggested routes and directions, please see the map below.

Embassy of El Salvador in Washington DC

From Dupont Circle Metro Station
Approximately 0.5 mile, 10 min walk
Travel Leave the station through the Q Street Exit.
Travel Head east on Q St NW toward Connecticut Ave NW.
Travel Turn right onto Connecticut Ave NW.
Travel At the traffic circle, take the 5th exit onto P St NW.
Travel Turn right onto 16th St NW.

Quick Facts

Passport Validity
Passport must be valid at time of entry.

Blank Passport Pages
No requirement.

Tourist Visa Required
For U.S. Citizens: No, a visa is not required. But you must purchase a tourist card upon arrival. If your U.S. passport shows you were born in El Salvador, you do not need the tourist card.


Currency Restrictions for Entry
Currency in excess of USD$10,000 must be declared.

Currency Restrictions for Exit
Currency in excess of USD$10,000 must be declared.

Central America Border Control Agreement (CA-4)

El Salvador is part of the Central America Border Control Agreement (CA-4). Under the terms of this agreement, citizens of the four countries may travel freely across the CA-4 countries (Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala) for a period of up to 90 days, without completing entry and exit formalities at border immigration checkpoints. This period begins at the first point of entry in to any of the CA-4 countries.

U.S. Citizens and other eligible foreign nationals, who legally enter any of the four countries, may similarly travel across the CA-4 countries without obtaining additional visas or tourist entry permits for the other three countries. Immigration officials at the first port of entry determine the length of stay, up to a maximum period of 90 days.

Foreign tourists who wish to remain in the CA-4 region beyond the period initially granted for their visit (e.g., longer than 90 days) must request a one-time extension of stay from local immigration authorities in the country where the traveler is physically present, or they must leave the CA-4 countries and reapply for admission to the region.

Foreigners "expelled" from any of the four countries are excluded from the entire CA-4 region. In isolated cases, the lack of clarity in the implementing details of the CA-4 Border Control Agreement has caused temporary inconvenience to some travelers and has resulted in others being fined more than $100 or detained for 72 hours or longer.

Tourist Card

To enter El Salvador, you must purchase a tourist card, which is valid for 30 to 90 days, as determined by Salvadorean immigration officials. The tourist card is not a visa, but it is a mandatory requirement upon entry at Comalapa International Airport or one of the four land border points.

When you buy the tourist card, you will be given a receipt to keep with your passport. You will not be required to re-pay if you exit and re-enter El Salvador (for a brief side trip to Honduras, for example), as long as you have your receipt and your tourist card remains valid.

Tourist cards are valid for 30 days, but you can request up to 90 days - be sure to ask when you step up to the immigration counter. It is your responsibility to obtain entry and exit stamps at border crossings. If you wish to extend your stay in El Salvador past 90 days, you may apply for an extension of your tourist card.

Related Information


Privacy Policy | Contact | Copyright © 2019

Washington DC