The Washington Monument reached 500 feet on August 9, 1884, and the capstone was set in place on December 6, 1884 marking the completion of the project. 37 years after construction started, the monument was dedicated to George Washington on February 21, 1885. It opened to the public on October 9, 1888.

The symbol of George Washington's power and strength are shown in the similar design of the monument as the obelisks of ancient Egypt. Also, the pyramidion of the
Washington Monument is made of aluminum, providing the same brilliant 'sun ray' ideas as those of Egypt. The idea of divinity is further expressed through the sloping sides of the obelisk. If extended in space, these sides would intersect in heaven, pointing to God.

Washington DC Monument

Privacy Policy | Contact | Copyright © 2016

Washington DC