Washington DC

Embassy of the Republic of Nicaragua - Washington DC

Metro Closest Metro Stop:
Dupont Circle visa
View Metro Map

Travel Fax: (202) 939-6542

Travel Phone: (202) 939-6570

Travel Website: consuladodenicaragua.com

Travel Email: [email protected]

Travel Address: 1627 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, DC 20009.

The Embassy of Nicaragua is located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood. The Dupont Circle Metro Station on the red line of the Metro system is the closest station to the Embassy of Nicaragua. The station has two exits; make sure to leave the station through the "Q Street Exit". For suggested routes and directions, please see the map below.

Embassy of Nicaragua in Washington DC

Embassy of Nicaragua

From Dupont Circle Metro Station
Approximately 0.2 mile, 5 min walk
Travel Leave the station through the Q Street Exit.
Travel Head east on Q St NW toward Connecticut Ave NW
Travel Turn left onto New Hampshire Ave NW.
Travel Destination will be on the right.

Central America Border Control Agreement (CA-4)

Nicaragua is part of the Central America Border Control Agreement (CA-4). Under the terms of this agreement, citizens of the four countries may travel freely across the CA-4 countries (Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala) for a period of up to 90 days, without completing entry and exit formalities at border immigration checkpoints. This period begins at the first point of entry in to any of the CA-4 countries.

U.S. Citizens and other eligible foreign nationals, who legally enter any of the four countries, may similarly travel across the CA-4 countries without obtaining additional visas or tourist entry permits for the other three countries. Immigration officials at the first port of entry determine the length of stay, up to a maximum period of 90 days.

Foreign tourists who wish to remain in the CA-4 region beyond the period initially granted for their visit (e.g., longer than 90 days) must request a one-time extension of stay from local immigration authorities in the country where the traveler is physically present, or they must leave the CA-4 countries and reapply for admission to the region.

Foreigners "expelled" from any of the four countries are excluded from the entire CA-4 region. In isolated cases, the lack of clarity in the implementing details of the CA-4 Border Control Agreement has caused temporary inconvenience to some travelers and has resulted in others being fined more than $100 or detained for 72 hours or longer.

Visa-Exempt Countries

Passport holders of the following countries can travel to Nicaragua without a visa for a stay up to 90 days:

Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Holy See, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Panama, Poland, Portugal,Romania,Qatar, Saint Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, St. Helena, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, United Kingdom, United States, Vanuatu, the Vatican City, and Venezuela.

Extension of Stay (Longer Than 90 Days)

At the port of entry, Nicaraguan immigration officials determine how long tourists may stay in Nicaragua. Those entering without a visa are generally permitted to stay up to 90 days. Foreign tourists requesting an extension of stay (longer than 90 days) should apply at the main offices of Nicaraguan Immigration.

The following documents will be required for an extension of stay:

TravelForm requesting an extension of stay (available at the Immigration office).
TravelYour Passport (valid for at least an additional 6 months).
TravelYour Nicaraguan Entry/Exit Stamp given to you by Immigration when you entered Nicaragua.

There are many expatriates in Nicaragua that do not bother getting their residency permit (cedula) and just simply leave the country for 3 days each 90 days. This starts your 90 days over again. For example, you could just take a few days and visit Honduras or another nearby country.

Nicaraguan Immigration imposes a fine on foreigners who exceed their length of stay without proper authorization. The foreigner cannot leave the country until the fine is paid. This fine is waived if the U.S. Citizen is also a dual Nicaraguan national and exits the country on their Nicaraguan passport.

General Visa Requirements

Travelers who plan to remain in Nicaragua longer than 90 days may need to apply in advance for a visa. Visa requirements vary per nationality. Make sure to contact the Embassy of Nicaragua for details.

Tourist Visa

(1) Original, signed passport with at least one blank visa page.
(2) Completed and signed Visa Application Form (PDF Format).
(3) One passport-size photograph.
(4) Evidence of legal residence in USA (Copy of Green card).
(5) Copy of round trip airline tickets or itinerary.

Business Visa

(1) Original, signed passport with at least one blank visa page.
(2) Completed and signed Visa Application Form (PDF Format).
(3) One passport-size photograph.
(4) Evidence of legal residence in USA (Copy of Green card).
(5) Copy of round trip airline tickets or itinerary.
(6) A company letter (Sample) of intent and financial responsibility typed on the company's stationery stating the following:
Travel Purpose and date of travel and duration of stay.
Travel Financial responsibility for the applicant as well as return transportation to U.S.
Travel Name and address of the contacts/company to be visited and nature of the business.
Travel This letter must be signed by a superior within your company other than the applicant.

Your letter must be addressed to: Embassy of Nicaragua, Visa Section, Washington DC

Leaving Nicaragua: Entry/Exit Stamp

If you are a foreign tourist, your Nicaraguan entry/exit stamp or form authorizing an extension-of-stay must be presented to Nicaraguan Immigration prior to departing Nicaragua. If you cannot present either of these documents, you may need to go to a Nicaraguan immigration office to seek a replacement.

If you cannot present your entry/exit stamp because it was stolen or lost along with your U.S. Passport, then the U.S. Embassy can provide you with a letter for Nicaraguan Immigration. This letter will explain the circumstances surrounding the issuance of the new passport and request the issuance of a replacement entry/stamp stamp. You will need to present this letter, your new passport, and request form (available in their offices). Unless you have overstayed the time allotted to you upon entry into Nicaragua, you will not have to pay a fee. Citizens of other countries will need to check with their embassies on their procedures.


Privacy Policy | Contact | Copyright © 2017