Washington DC

Embassy of Estonia - Washington DC

Metro Closest Metro Stop:
Dupont Circle Travel
View Metro Map

Travel Fax: (202) 588-0108

Travel Phone: (202) 588-0101

Travel Website: estemb.org

Travel Email: [email protected]

Travel Address: 2131 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008

Dupont Circle Metro Station on the red line of the Metro system is the closest station to the Embassy of Estonia. The station has two exits; make sure to leave through the "Q Street Exit". From the station, it is approximately a 6-minute walk to the Embassy. Use the map and directions shown below to find suggested routes.

Embassy of Estonia in Washington DC

Embassy of Estonia in Washington DC

From Dupont Circle Metro Station
Approximately 0.3 mile, 6 min walk
Travel Leave the station through the Q Street Exit.
Travel Head west on Q St NW toward 20th St NW.
Travel Slight right onto Massachusetts Ave NW.
Travel Turn right onto Florida Ave NW.
Travel Destination will be on the left.

Schengen Agreement

Estonia is a member of the European Union, but also of the Schengen Agreement. Under the Schengen Agreement, border controls between members are eliminated. A Schengen visa allows you to stay in or transit through all the Schengen Members and to travel between them for up to 90 days in any 180 day period. For example, if you have a Schengen visa for Italy, it will also be valid for Estonia.

A common misconception is that tourists in Europe can simply travel into a non-Schengen country like England for a day or two, and then re-enter the Schengen Area with a brand new 90 days. This is not the case. You are only allowed to stay in the Schengen Area for 3 months out of every half-year.

If you want to stay in the Schengen Area longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a long-stay visa/residence permit for a specific country. If you obtain a long-stay visa for a particular Schengen Area country, you can stay in that country without eating into your 90-day Schengen time.

Members of the Schengen Agreement:

Czech Republic





Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to enter the Schengen Area (incl. Estonia) for up to 90 days in any 180-day period:

Passport holders of the European Union (EU)
Passport holders of the European Economic Area (EEA)
Any third-country national holding a residence permit of a Schengen State


Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia


Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia-Herzegovina*, Brazil, Brunei


Canada, Chile, Costa Rica


El Salvador




Honduras, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region)






Macao (Special Administrative Region), Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*


New Zealand, Nicaragua


Panama, Paraguay




Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia*, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, St Kitts-Nevis, St Lucia


Taiwan**, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago


UAE, USA, Uruguay


Vatican City, Venezuela

* Only for the biometrical passports holders
** Passports issued by Taiwan which include an identity card number

Holders of diplomatic and service passports of the following countries may travel without a visa up to 90 days in any 180-day period:


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic and service passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic, service or official passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic and service passports


Diplomatic and official passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic and official passports


Diplomatic and service passports


Diplomatic and service passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic passports


Diplomatic passports and service passports


Diplomatic, special and service passports


Diplomatic and service passports

Types of Schengen Visas

Airport Transit Visa (Type A)
An airport transit visa may be issue for passing through the international transit areas of airports located on the Schengen zone, and remaining there until their time of the departure. Only nationals of the following countries are required to apply for an airport transit visa: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia and Sri Lanka.

Short-Stay Visa (Type C)
A short-stay visa may be issue for transiting through and staying in the Schengen zone for a duration of no more than 90 days within a period of six months.

Long-Stay Visa (Type D)
A long-stay visa may be issued for single or multiple entries into Estonia with a period of stay up to six months and with a period of validity up to twelve months.

If your travel destination includes more than one Schengen State, submit your visa application at the embassy of the main destination. The main destination is where you intend to spend the longest time or where the main purpose of the intended journey is carried out.

If you wish to visit several Schengen states, and you are not sure of the state of main destination or plan to spend an equal number of days in each state, the visa must be applied for at the representation of the state through which the visa applicant intends to enter the Schengen area.

General Visa Requirements

The following documents should be submitted upon application for visa:

1) Visa Application Form
Complete one of the following visa forms:
Application Form for a Schengen Visa (PDF Format)
Application Form for a Long-Stay Visa (PDF Format).

A visa application for a child travelling without his or her parent must be accompanied by the parents' notarized letter of consent confirming that the child may travel alone or accompanied by a specified person.

2) Passport
Original passport containing at least two blank pages for visas. It should be valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa.

Children 7–15 years of age sharing the parent's passport must have his/her photo in the parents' passport. Children under the age of 7, if entered into a parent's passport, do not need to have a photo in the parent's passport.

3) Photograph
One recent passport-size photograph must be attached to the visa application.

4) Travel Insurance
Travel and Medical Insurance valid in Schengen countries with a coverage of at least 30.000 EUR for the entire duration of stay in the Schengen area.

5) Proof of Legal Residence in the USA
Original of valid U.S. Alien registration card (green card) or valid U.S. resident visa. The U.S. residence permit or visa should be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the territory of the Schengen Member States.

6) Proof of Travel Arrangements
Roundtrip flight/travel reservations or other proof of intended transport and full itinerary (if several Schengen States will be visited OR if the trip covers several Schengen States and non-Schengen countries).

7) Proof of Accommodation
Evidence of hotel bookings or travel plan for the entire Schengen area:
Individuals: confirmed hotel reservations, stating name, address and telephone number of the hotel, including confirmation number.
Groups: certificate of the travel agency mentioning same information as for individuals, or other proof of accommodation (e.g. rental agreement).

8) Supporting Documents
Visiting Family/Friends: invitation letter from a friend/relative. A copy of ID (national or residence permit) of the inviting friend/relative may be required.

Business: letter of invitation from the business partner specifying the nature of the business; a reference letter from your employer; and if different from hotel, a confirmed accommodation stating name, address and telephone number of the lodging place.

Students/Researchers: certificate from the receiving institution on the length and purpose of stay; certificate from Home institution on enrolment (student cards only are not sufficient); and confirmed accommodation

9) Proof of sufficient means for the intended journey
- Bank account statement(s) during the last three months (Bank statements must show the name and address of owner(s). Electronic printouts are accepted.); proof of regular income e.g. pay slips of the last three months;
– OR if self-employed (tax return from previous fiscal year or proof of previous economic activity and of an income during previous fiscal year);
– OR if retired (e.g. copy of pension certificate or a letter of previous employer or a pension check stub or confirmation from the responsible authority about the amount of pension);
– In case of business, if applicable, letter stating that all expenses are fully covered by (e.g. a written proof that the inviting employer/company pays the expenses or alternative the sending employer/company pays for all expenses)
– In case of students/researchers, if applicable, letter stating that all expenses are fully covered by.
– If the applicant is minor and travels without parents or with one parent: officially recognized statement from both parents (this condition shall not apply if there is only a single parent or he/she holds the parental authority alone) or legal guardian authorizing the child to travel and covering the costs with evidence on the existence of the financial coverage.


Privacy Policy | Contact | Copyright © 2017