Washington DC

Embassy of Denmark - Washington DC

Metro Closest Metro Stop:
Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Travel
View Metro Map

Travel Fax: (202) 328-1470

Travel Phone: (202) 234-4300

Travel Email: [email protected]

Travel Website: usa.um.dk/en

Travel Address: 3200 Whitehaven Street NW, Washington, DC 20008

Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Station on the Red Line of the Metro System is the closest station to the Embassy of Denmark. From the station, it is approximately an 18-minute walk to the Embassy. Use the map and directions shown below to find suggested routes.

Embassy of Belgium in Washington DC

Embassy of Denmark in Washington DC

From Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Station
Approximately 1.1 mile, 23 min walk
Travel Head south toward 24th St NW.
Travel Turn right toward Calvert St NW.
Travel Turn left onto 28th St NW.
Travel Continue onto Rock Creek Dr NW.
Travel Rock Creek Dr NW turns right and becomes Normanstone Dr NW.
Travel Turn left onto Rock Creek Dr NW.
Travel Slight right onto Whitehaven St NW.

Schengen Agreement

Denmark is a member of the European Union, but also of the Schengen Agreement. Under the Schengen Agreement, border controls between members are eliminated. A Schengen visa allows you to stay in or transit through all the Schengen Members and to travel between them for up to 90 days in any 180 day period. For example, if you have a Schengen visa for Italy, it will also be valid for Belgium.

A common misconception is that tourists in Europe can simply travel into a non-Schengen country like England for a day or two, and then re-enter the Schengen Area with a brand new 90 days; this is not the case. You are only allowed to stay in the Schengen Area for 3 months out of every half-year.

If you want to stay in the Schengen Area longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a long-stay visa/residence permit for a specific country. If you obtain a long-stay visa for a particular Schengen Area country, you can stay in that country without eating into your 90-day Schengen time.

Members of the Schengen Agreement:

Czech Republic





Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to enter the Schengen Area (incl. Denmark) for up to 90 days in any 180-day period:

Passport holders of the European Union (EU)
Passport holders of the European Economic Area (EEA)
Any third-country national holding a residence permit of a Schengen State


Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia


Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia-Herzegovina*, Brazil, Brunei


Canada, Chile, Costa Rica


El Salvador




Honduras, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region)






Macao (Special Administrative Region), Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*


New Zealand, Nicaragua


Panama, Paraguay




Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia*, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, St Kitts-Nevis, St Lucia


Taiwan**, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago


UAE, USA, Uruguay


Vanuatu, Vatican City, Venezuela

* Only for the biometrical passports holders
** Passports issued by Taiwan which include an identity card number

Types of Schengen Visas

Airport Transit Visa (Type A)
An airport transit visa may be issued for passing through the international transit areas of airports located on the Schengen zone, and remaining there until their time of the departure. Only nationals of the following countries are required to apply for an airport transit visa: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia and Sri Lanka.

Short-Stay Visa (Type C)
A short-stay visa may be issue for transiting through and staying in the Schengen zone for a duration of no more than 90 days within a period of six months. If you are traveling for one of the following reasons, then you need a short-term visa:

- I am travelling on business
- I would like to travel on vacation as a tourist
- I am to attend a cultural or scientific event (e.g. a sporting event or a convention)
- I will be visiting family or friends

Short-stay visas do not grant visa holders the right to travel to Denmark if the real purpose of the visit is employment. Applicants seeking to work in Denmark should apply for a residence and work permit.

Long-Stay Visa (Type D)
A long-stay visa may be issued for single or multiple entries into Belgium with a period of stay up to six months and with a period of validity up to twelve months.

General Visa Requirements

Visa applications cannot be submitted earlier than three months before the expected date of arrival in Denmark. If you already hold a multiple-entry visa valid for more than 180 days, you can apply earlier.

You must submit your visa application in person. You will need to be fingerprinted if you submit your application to a diplomatic mission where the Schengen visa system has been rolled out. You may also be called in for an interview after submitting your application. Decisions about visa applications are normally be made within 15 days. The following documents are required:

1) Visa Application Form
Complete, date, and sign one of the following forms:
visa Application for Schengen Visa
visa Visa (short-term), family reunification, asylum or permanent residence
visa Work, studies, au pair, internship or working holiday

For children (under 18), provide a birth certificate and written consent of your parent. In the case of guardianship, present the court document naming the guardian as well as written consent. The signatures on this document have to be notarized.

2) Invitation of Visa Applicant (Optional)
If applicable, submit an invitation from a Danish host, either in the form of a completed invitation form or another form of written invitation. Your Danish host can complete an online invitation form.

3) Passport
A passport or other valid travel document. Your passport/travel document must be valid for at least 3 months after your planned departure date. Also, your passport/travel document must have been issued within the past 10 years and must have at least two blank pages.

4) Photograph
One recent passport-size photo measuring 35mm x 45mm. The photograph should bear a close resemblance to your current appearance and you should be facing the camera directly.

5) Proof of Travel and Medical Insurance
Travel and Medical Insurance to cover possible medical expenses, hospitalization costs, repatriation of mortal remains and repatriation for medical reasons while traveling in Belgium or in other Schengen countries. The policy must be valid throughout the Schengen region for the entire visa period. Minimum coverage must be €30,000. Note: your medical insurance card alone is not sufficient proof.

6) Proof of Legal Residence in the USA
Original of valid U.S. Alien registration card (green card) or valid U.S. resident visa. The U.S. residence permit or visa should be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the territory of the Schengen Member States.

7) Proof of Travel Arrangements
Roundtrip flight/travel reservations or other proof of intended transport and full itinerary (if several Schengen States will be visited OR if the trip covers several Schengen States and non-Schengen countries).

8) Proof of Accommodation
Evidence of hotel bookings or travel plan for the entire Schengen area:
Individuals: confirmed hotel reservations, stating name, address and telephone number of the hotel, including confirmation number.
Groups: certificate of the travel agency mentioning same information as for individuals, or other proof of accommodation (e.g. rental agreement).

9) Proof of sufficient means for the intended journey
- Bank account statement(s) during the last three months (Bank statements must show the name and address of owner. Electronic printouts are accepted), or proof of regular income e.g. pay slips of the last three months;
– OR if self-employed (tax return from previous fiscal year or proof of previous economic activity and of an income during previous fiscal year);
– OR if retired (e.g. copy of pension certificate or a letter of previous employer or a pension check stub or confirmation from the responsible authority about the amount of pension);
– In case of business, if applicable, letter stating that all expenses are fully covered by (e.g. a written proof that the inviting employer/company pays the expenses or alternative the sending employer/company pays for all expenses)
– In case of students/researchers, if applicable, letter stating that all expenses are fully covered by.
– If the applicant is minor and travels without parents or with one parent: officially recognized statement from both parents (this condition shall not apply if there is only a single parent or he/she holds the parental authority alone) or legal guardian authorizing the child to travel and covering the costs with evidence on the existence of the financial coverage.

Russia, Ukraine, India and China

special flexible tourist visa system has been established for the nationals of Russia, Ukraine, India and China that makes it easier to obtain a tourist visa to Denmark. The condition is that tourists should travel on a package holiday, which as a minimum must include transportation and hotel reservation.

Several local travel operators in these four countries offer such package holidays. These operators must be authorised by the Danish Embassy.


Privacy Policy | Contact | Copyright © 2017